Monday, May 14, 2012

Judges are Fickle

The Oak Path,  9x12" watercolor, $300
The more I enter into juried shows, the more bewildered I become. This painting, The Oak Path, recently won a category 1st place at Central California Art Association's spring show. I entered it along with three other paintings which were all accepted into the show.

I almost didn't enter this one.

I painted it one morning a few months ago on the grounds of Ironstone Vineyards (where I was at a reception for another painting which had won a prize -- see my prior post). I don't actually paint "en plein aire" very often, but it was a beautiful day.

It turned out pretty good, I thought. But, its small, and not that unusual. I'd like to ask the judge what made her pick this one over the others in the category. I guess I should just be happy about it. The prize paid for the framing.

Brussels Sprouts, 16 x 20" watercolor, $600
I actually won another prize in the same show -- a second place in the still life category -- for a painting I thought was actually much better. Brussels Sprouts took a lot more skill to execute, more time, its bigger.... I'll just be happy about this prize as well.

1 comment:

  1. I like them both, but I see what you mean about the brussels. I guess you never can pick the judges' brains to see what was gong on there!

    ReplyDelete