When autumn arrives and the pumpkins finally make it to the farmers' market, T.J. selects his favorite to take home. A sidebar goes on to explain how the farmers plow the leftover vines back into the land for the next season's crops. A checklist of fruits and vegetables commonly available at farmers' markets is provided at the end of the book to encourage children to sample new produce and develop healthy eating habits.
Author VisitsPlease contact me if you'd like to schedule a school visit! This book great for K - 2 classes and can be tied in to many topics, including plant life cycle, seasons, autumn, food and nutrition, farming and family.
Lesson Ideas with Pumpkins and other Fruits and VegetablesThere are SO many great resources out there, the possibilities are endless. You'll notice that I'm partial to art projects! And I would love to come and lead an art project with your class. Of course, I throw in a few art concepts as well. Here are a couple of my favorites:
- Growing pumpkin seedlings and keeping a picture journal
- Showing expression in jack-o-lantern faces
- Seed mosaic art - combine this with counting seeds, creating patterns
- Printing with fruits and vegetables - focus on shapes and patterns
- Painting a Still Life with pumpkins or other fruits and veggies - creating space, mixing colors
|A selection of the sidebar illustrations.|
Here are some ways to purchase the book online:Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble.com
North Atlantic Books (the publisher)
Random House (the distributor)
Or, please ask for it at your local bookstore.